To the top

Loading...

The Shipyard's History

During WWII, Cushing's Point was transformed from a neighborhood to a revolutionary shipyard. The first shipyard was the Todd-Bath Iron yard (East Yard) and second was South Portland Shipbuilding (West Yard). The two shipyards eventually merged into one 140-acre site and became the New England Shipbuilding Corporation. Following the war effort, portions of the former shipyard were redeveloped into the Spring Point Marina, Breakwater Condominiums, Bug Light Park and the Gulf Oil tank farm. Below are historic photos of the shipyard (courtesy of South Portland Historical Society) and previous development proposals for the Yard South site.

Backfilling Site # 1

Year:

1941

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Backfilling Site #2

Year:

1941

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Shipyard Hall Construction

Year:

1941-45 (exact date unknown)

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Ship Hull Construction

Year:

1941-45 (exact date unknown)

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Dock with Ships

Year:

1941-45 (exact date unknown)

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Outfitting Building (Pipe & Elec. Shop)

Year:

1941-45 (exact date unknown)

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Two Ships at Dock

Year:

1941-45 (exact date unknown)

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

The Powerhouse

Year:

1941-45 (exact date unknown)

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Shipyard Birds-Eye with Pipeline Lots

Year:

1942

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Shipyard Birds-Eye

Year:

1942

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Ship Construction at Pier

Year:

1942

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

Five Vessels, West Area

Year:

1942

Credit:

South Portland Historical Society

Legal Notice:

This image shall not be copied, published, or used in any way

2001 Hotel and Convention

In 2001, John Cacoulidis proposed a $900 million twin-hotel standing 635 feet, and a convention center. The proposal envisioned a 300-foot-high cable car system crossing Portland Harbor.

Year:

2001

Credit:

John Cacoulidis

Legal Notice:

2004 Liberty Village

John Cacoulidis' development team returned in 2004 with a second proposal for 149 Front Street known as Liberty Village. More modest in scale, this project included a marina, townhouse condominiums, a luxury hotel, and three mid-rise condominiums.

Year:

2004

Credit:

John Cacoulidis

Legal Notice: